March for Science:Standing up for our Coast
It’s time for scientists, educators, and all who love our coast to come together and make our voices heard.
With all that’s at stake – including proposed budget cuts to our coastal wildlife, water quality, and jobs – we’re marching to show support for coastal Georgia’s amazing natural resources and the dedicated scientists and researchers who work to protect them.
We hope you’ll join us! There are two exciting ways to get involved:
- Meet at Gateway Park (corner of Newcastle and Bay Streets, across from the Harold Pate Building) in downtown Brunswick at 11 am.
- After a short welcome rally, we’ll march down Newcastle Street to Queen’s Square (adjacent to the OHM office), where we’ll celebrate coastal Georgia with featured speakers, a variety of local nonprofit booths, food, music, and fun! Join us to hear how YOU can make a difference and advocate for our coast.
- Get in the science spirit with a poster-making party on Thursday, April 20th, from 4:00-6:00 PM at OHM’s Brunswick office (1312 Newcastle Street). We’ll have supplies and sign suggestions, or bring your own from home! Get creative: posters, banners, and festive Earth-friendly decorations encouraged. For the sake of our wildlife, no balloons, please. Need inspiration? Check out our poster slogan ideas!
- Downtown Newcastle Street businesses – want to get in on the fun? We’ll award a prize for the best science-themed storefront seen on the march!
- For more information or to volunteer or get your group involved, please email Catherine.
- Join us for a kick-off rally at 10 am in Johnson Square, downtown Savannah.
- We’ll start the march at 11:00 am, taking Bull Street to the south end of Forsyth Park.
- Stay downtown for fun, family science activities along the Bull Street corridor! Don’t miss science popups and interactive activities from local nonprofits like the Caretta Research Project, Clean Coast, and many more!
- Join us for TWO poster-making parties before the march: Saturday, April 15th, from 2:30-4:30 PM (at OHM’s Earth Day Savannah booth; hosted by artist Lauren Yonenson) and Thursday, April 20th, from 6:00-9:00 PM (hosted by artist Erin Basset). Both sessions will be held at OHM’s Savannah office at 2424 Drayton Street. We’ll have some supplies to get you started, or bring your own! Check out our poster slogan ideas!
- For more information, please email Paulita.
There’s power in numbers – and we can’t wait to show our collective support for our coast with you on Earth Day!